- 1Arrange a free meet and greet
- 2Make a booking request on Pawshake
- 3Booking confirmed: money in escrow
- 4Pet sitting service completed: pay-out
If you're not absowoofly happy with your experience, Pawshake offers pet owners a Satisfaction Money Back Guarantee.
In order to be eligible, you obviously need to (i) have organised a meet and greet with the sitter prior to the booking, (ii) have booked via the Pawshake website or mobile app and (iii) have left a poor review for the pet sitter. The refund is not to exceed 5 days of the gross booking amount.
Your claim needs to be submitted within 3 days of the end of the booking period via the contact us section.
Although you're unlikely to experience any issues on Pawshake, we understand that your pet may need protection against unexpected life events. With Pawshake's Pet Protection, your pet is covered for all services booked through our website and our mobile app.
Because your peace of mind is priceless, and to thank you for being part of our trusted community, we are proud to offer you Pawshake's Pet Protection free of charge.
And yes, also pet sitters registered on Pawshake are covered against third party claims.
Pawshake has your back with a free Insurance covering for all services booked through our site or mobile app! This means that both the pet owner and the pet sitter will benefit from ultimate peace of mind.
How payments work
1. Arrange a free meet and greet
First, we strongly recommend to organise a meet and greet (i.e. a meeting in person) with your preferred pet sitter, prior to your booking online. A meet and greet request is free of charge and can be booked through our website or mobile app.
2. Booking request: book the pet sitting service and provide your billing information
Did you find the perfect pet sitter? Great.
The next step is to confirm your booking online. Choose the pet sitting services you want, the length of stay, and include any special requirements your pet may have.
As part of your booking, you also need to enter your billing information, after which the amount due for the booking will be put on hold (also known as a 'hold authorisation' on your credit card for the total of your booking). This is very similar to a booking you make for a room at a hotel: here, too, a hold authorisation will be put on your credit card for the amount of the booking.
On Pawshake, we accept payments via PayPal (additional payment methods will be available soon).
3. Booking confirmed by the pet sitter: your money safely held in escrow
The pet sitter then receives your booking request by email.
A pet sitter responds, on average, within 4 hours after received a booking request. He or she has up to 24 hours to respond.
A pet sitter can do one of these three things following your booking request:
- Confirm your booking: once the pet sitter confirms your booking request, your credit card will be charged. This means that the money provided for the booked pet sitting service will be held in escrow until completion of the service.
- Decline your booking: if the pet sitter declines or cancels your request, no amount will be charged. The authorisation for the hold on your credit card will automatically expire after 24 hours.
- No response within 24 hours: similarly, if a pet sitter doesn't response within 24 hours, no amount will be charged.
4. Pet sitting service completed: the pet sitter gets paid
Once the booking has ended, Pawshake will transfer the amount due for the booking minus the contribution for Pawshake (19%) to the pet sitter's payment account.
As you can see, the payment process on Pawshake is fully automated, so neither the pet owner nor the pet sitter needs to worry about the money.
Cancellation by the pet owner
As a pet owner, there can always be unforeseen circumstances or reasons whereby you have to cancel a confirmed booking. This is perfectly possible. However, all pet sitters on Pawshake define their own cancellation and refund policy for the petting sitting services they provide.
A pet sitter can offer one of the following 3 cancellation options for confirmed bookings:
- A flexible cancellation policy: a full refund is awarded up to 5 days before the beginning of the booking, with a 50% refund afterward.
- A normal cancellation policy: a full refund is awarded up to 10 days before the beginning of the booking, with a 50% refund afterward.
- A strict cancellation policy: no refund is possible for confirmed bookings.
Please always check the profile of each pet sitter, prior to making a booking.
Cancellation by the pet sitter
When you make a booking with a pet sitter, money is not drawn from your account until the pet sitter confirms your booking request.
Instead your funds go into 'hold'. This means that the money never leaves your account, it only appears as though it has and it is not available in your balance in case the booking goes ahead.
Therefore, when a pet sitter doesn't confirm but instead cancels or declines your booking request, your funds automatically re-appear in your account as though they had never left.
As a pet owner, you will be refunded the amount of your booking under the following circumstances:
- The pet sitter cancels or declines your booking request or doesn't respond to your request within 24 hours: you will not be charged;
- You cancel your booking after the confirmation by the pet sitter: you will be refunded the amount of your booking in full or in part, depending on the applicable cancellation policy of the pet sitter (i.e. flexible, normal or strict cancellation policy). You can check the cancellation policy of your pet sitter on his or her profile page;
- If, after completion of the pet sitting service, you are dissatisfied with your pet sitter, you can file a claim with Pawshake under our Satisfaction Money Back Guarantee. Your claim needs to be submitted within 3 days of the end of the booking period via the contact us section.
Frequently asked questions
Do I pay before or after my pet stays with the pet sitter?
Pawshake will ask for your billing information when completing your online booking request. However, the balance will not be debited from your account and put into escrow until the pet sitter confirms your booking. Also, the pet sitter will be paid only at the end of the stay of your pet, i.e. after completion of the pet sitting service.
Do I pay the pet sitter or host family myself with cash?
No. All payments are carried out via Pawshake's website. It's easier and more secure for both parties. This also allows you to focus on building a relationship between owner, pet and pet sitter.
Are there booking fees on Pawshake?
No, there are no additional booking or credit card fees on Pawshake. The price you see is the price you pay.
What payment methods do you accept?
Pawshake currently accepts Visa, Mastercard and PayPal.
A pet sitter has cancelled my booking, why has money been deducted from my account?
When you make a booking with a pet sitter, money is not withdrawn from your account until the pet sitter confirms your booking request. Instead your funds go into 'hold'. This means that the money never leaves your account, it only appears as though it has and it is not available in your balance in case the booking goes ahead. Therefore when a pet sitter cancels your booking request, your funds automatically re-appear in your account as though they had never left.
What is the hold authorisation on my credit card?
A hold authorisation is a required hold on your credit card that is not confirmed unless the pet sitter confirms your booking request. Pawshake uses this authorisation to ensure that the credit card used is valid. If the pet sitter declines your booking request, or doesn't respond to your request within 24 hours, the authorisation is canceled.
Will I see an authorisation on my bank statement?
An authorisation may appear on your bank statement, as a preliminary note. If your booking request is cancelled or declined, the authorisation is cancelled. The cancellation may appear on your bank statement in the form of a reimbursement. Please note that – depending on your bank – it may take up to 7 business days before you see the reimbursement on your bank statement.
When does the pet owner pay for my services?
When a pet owner makes a booking request they are asked to enter their billing information. The payment is withdrawn when you, the pet sitter, confirm the booking after which the money is put in escrow. This ensures that you will receive full payment when you provide your pet sitting service.
The payment process on Pawshake is fully automated, so you can focus on your relationship with the pet and the owner.
How much does it cost to be a pet sitter?
Being a pet sitter and offering your services on the Pawshake website is free. Only when you get a booking will you be liable for a 19% contribution to Pawshake. This contribution allows us to effectively and efficiently manage the community as well as to provide you with online payments, marketing and customer support.
Can I accept money directly from pet owners?
No. All payments must be made through the Pawshake platform. By using the Pawshake platform, you commit to making your initial and future bookings on the Pawshake website. We only make money when you do. Failure to go through Pawshake will result in immediate termination from the site. You will find more information on this topic in our General Conditions.
What happens if the pet owner cancels a booking?
At the time of registration as a pet sitter, you can select a cancellation policy that best fits you: a flexible, normal, or strict cancellation policy.
So, if a booking is cancelled by the pet owner, the cancellation policy you selected will apply. This could result in a full, partial or no payment, depending of the cancellation policy you have selected.
When am I paid as a pet sitter?
Pawshake automatically transfers the balance, at the latest, seven business days after the pet sitting service is completed. Make sure you have entered your payment details in your profile.
Do I need to pay fees to receive my funds?
No, Pawshake pays for all the transfer fees. There are no hidden fees on Pawshake.